Friday, March 28, 2014

The Kite Runner vs. Persepolis

Why is childhood such an important time of life?  When does it end?

Both The Kite Runner and Persepolis relate their stories based on Childhood. Childhood is an important time in your life because it is memories that you will remember in the future. We all make mistakes and people learn from their mistakes. The beginning of your life is where your personality is formed. When does childhood end? In my opinion I think it ends when you are mentally able to take of yourself. You have to be in control of your life.


In The Kite Runner I felt that Amir was very innocent before the war started. Innocent is key for childhood. Kids grow up not knowing whats right from wrong. Once it started he wanted his father to be interested in him and tried to change to be more aggressive. 
This is when he started to become more independent and take control of his life. This is when his childhood seems to end.  The adult Amir looks back and remembers struggling to have a good relationship with his father. He looks back on his "childhood".

In Persepolis, Marji starts becoming more of women and becomes more independent when she knows bad things are happening in her country and she needs to stand up for herself and take control. When Marji leaves her family to go to Australia she proved she can take care of herself and not have someone watch after her. 

I believe that my childhood isn't over yet because I can't defend for my self yet. Yes I have a couple jobs, I drive and own a car, but I'm not able to support myself yet and I need my parents. Without them I would be lost. Slowly they are teaching me how to be more independent and take on responsibilities. I'm not like Amir and Marji who's childhood ends right away and they have to grow up really fast in life.

5 comments:

  1. I think you have really good information of the fact that they have different backgrounds of leaving the stage of childhood. I agree that both seemed very innocent before corruption started throughout their lives. The style of the blog is very good and really attracts the reader of the blog. But to make it easier for a person to read is to highlight the essential sentences of what you are writing. Overall, the values of each book are valid in my opinion and it is very well-developed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that before you began talking about the book you told the reader what you believed childhood was (what it does for you/when it ends). It gave me a better understanding of how you looked at the book, so I could then apply it to my own ideas on the book. Comparing Amir's end of childhood to Marji's was a great idea! They're very similar and I like that you described the growing up process as when they are finally able to "take control".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kayla's comment also. I really liked how you started with your own opinion so that we could connect your thoughts with the Kite Runner and Persepolis. You did a really good job developing your thoughts and comparing both of the books we've read together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What really made me continue to read your blog was the consistency and conciseness of your words. You were able to tell your ideas in just a couple of sentences, and you broke your ideas down into paragraphs.I also liked your opinion as to when you think childhood ends. It ends when "you are mentally able to take of yourself". This was very true to Marjane and I expect it to become more true to Amir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im reading this blog cuz i need to copy something for my essay lol

    ReplyDelete